Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Great Math Blog


I am always looking for new and different ways to teach math and I think this blog has really opened my eyes to a fantastic way to change the way I teach math concepts. The concept is really easy and if you're used to teaching your Language Arts block using Daily 5, then Guided Math should be a cinch to get started!

She starts the math block with a mini-lesson that is either a review from the day before, or an introduction to a new concept. Then, she breaks the kids up in to 4 groups. If you have a lot of kids and don't want to have large rotation groups, then you could have 2 groups doing the same thing. Her rotations are: card game, math game, individual work and work with the teacher. While she's working with groups, the other kids are completing review or skill building games on their own. I love her setup and can't wait to start giving it a try in my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment